Create new student user accounts in large groups
University Subscription Level
As an Administrator, you can create new student users in your university by bulk upload.
During a new student's enrollment in his/her first course, they are typically asked to provide their email address and a name, choose a password, and set their local time zone. This information creates the student's account on your University platform. Then they proceed to complete their enrollment in a course.
This feature allows an Administrator to create student accounts in bulk so that students can bypass the account creation part of the course enrollment process. This is handy if a course will be provided to a corporation's (or a school's) students, with the corporation paying for all of its students to take a course.
For example, let's assume Company ABC would like to enroll a large number of its employees in your course. The company would provide you with a list of each employee's name (optional) and email address (required). As Administrator, you can create student user accounts for the employees, and then enroll all of them in the course. (See the companion article, Enrolling Students in a Course Automatically.) With a customized welcome notification, bulk-enrolled students will be able to click one link and be brought to their student account to begin the course.
IMPORTANT: Please read the companion article for this feature, Enroll Students in a Course Automatically, in the University Enhanced Features section. Students created in bulk have a different method of course enrollment than student user accounts not created in bulk.
IMPORTANT: Student user accounts created through this method are designed to be uploaded in bulk to a course after creation and should not be created in bulk without enrolling them in a course in bulk. New user accounts will be assigned your local time zone (as Administrator) and, for security purposes, no password. See the companion article referenced above for more information on how this information is handled after course enrollment is complete.
Create new student user accounts from a CSV file
The import users feature is available in the Site Management menu, in the People tab. This feature allows you to create new student user accounts for a large number of users with a CSV (comma separated values) file that contains the user's "name" and "email".
Your CSV file should look similar to the following in a text editor:
Multiple Columns (Headers are required)
Name,Email John Anderson,email@example.com Sarah Thomas,firstname.lastname@example.org Mark Smith,email@example.com Lisa Johnson,firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: We only support two columns - "name" and "email".
Bulk Import New Users
- Go to Site Management > People
- Click the "Import users" button.
- Select a CSV file.
- Click "Ok".
Possible Reasons for Import Warnings
- File is not formatted correctly as CSV (comma separated values) file. Make sure the file extension is ".csv". If using Microsoft Excel, try opening the CSV file in a text editor, such as Notepad++ (Windows) or TextMate/Atom (Mac) and make sure all the values are separated by a comma as shown below and in the examples at the top of the page.
Name,Email John Anderson,email@example.com Sarah Thomas,firstname.lastname@example.org Mark Smith,email@example.com Lisa Johnson,firstname.lastname@example.org<br>
- Too many columns in the CSV file. We support "email" and/or "name" columns. The "name" column is optional, however "email" column is required.
- Missing headers. Headers are required for multiple columns, however it is not required for single column CSV files.
- You have exceeded the maximum import limit of 100 users at a time.
- User already exists.
- User already enrolled in the course.
- User email is too long. Maximum 100 characters.
- Course enrollment failed for a user.